The Bartlett Police Report for Aug. 6-12 lists the most notable crimes for that period, including an armed robbery at Payless ShoeSource.
Editor’s note: This report represents the most notable incidents provided by the Bartlett Police Department and does not necessarily reflect all police activity. All suspects are presumed to be innocent until proven guilty in a court of law, and values are estimated for stolen/damaged items. These are brief summaries of detailed BPD reports.
Victims and witnesses reported that a man with a silver handgun robbed them and the store at Payless ShoeSource (8350 U.S. 64) around 8:45 p.m. Aug. 6. The suspect was thin with broad shoulders, and he had neck tattoos and dreadlocks with light orange tips. He approached the store’s entrance from the east side.
Inside, he displayed the gun, took one person’s cell phone and took cash from the register. He threw the victim’s phone to the ground as he left, headed east on U.S. 64.
- Stage Road: Someone entered a man’s unlocked vehicle at L.A. Fitness (6050 Stage Road) and stole his sunglasses on Aug. 3. Reported Aug. 6.
- Davies Plantation Road: A woman said someone stole two backpack leaf blowers from the bed of her truck while it was parked at the rear of her property. She said they were stolen sometime during Aug. 3-6. Reported Aug. 6.
- Sterland Circle: Someone stole a man’s backpack containing electronics out of his unlocked vehicle overnight. Reported Aug. 7.
Thefts & burglaries
- Stage Road: A customer at L.A. Fitness (6050 Stage Road) said someone stole his wallet from a locker while he was exercising. He also received notification that someone tried to use one of the cards from his wallet at Steak ’n Shake (8477 U.S. 64). Reported Aug. 6.
- Lark Valley Lane: Sometime between Aug. 4 and Aug. 6, someone stole multiple items and cash from a home where the front door was left unlocked. Reported Aug. 6.
- 7th Road: A victim reported that someone stole his Xbox One video game console from his home on Aug. 7 or 8. There was no sign of forced entry. Reported Aug. 8.
- Stage Road: Three suspects burglarized Fred’s Pharmacy (6064 Stage Road) before dawn on Aug. 9. A gray four-door vehicle dropped them off at the front, where they pried the door open, broke into the pharmacy area and stole an unknown number of prescription narcotics.
- Charles Bryan Road: A woman at Ave Maria Assisted Living (2805 Charles Bryan Road) reported that someone stole $18 from her purse between Aug. 1 and 8. Reported Aug. 10.
- Stage Road: Someone threw a large rock through the glass on a storefront at 5975 Stage Road and stole several hair clippers. Reported Aug. 10.
- North Road: A woman flagged down an officer on patrol to report that sometime between Aug. 4 and 11, an unknown person had stolen her purse. Reported Aug. 11.
- Bartlett Road: A thief stole the tailgate from a pickup owned by Warr & Geurin Garage (2878 Bartlett Road). Reported Aug. 11.
- Stage Road: Two males entered Mapco (6127 Stage Road) and stole several cartons of Newport cigarettes on Aug. 12. They were last seen traveling south on Stage Center Drive. Reported Aug. 12.
- St. Elmo Road: One or more vandals sprayed black paint on two sheds at the back of Easthill Baptist Church (7054 St Elmo Road) sometime during Aug. 5-7. Reported Aug. 7.
- Venson Drive: A spokesman for First Key Homes reported that the previous tenant, a First Key employee, vandalized his company-owned home after learning a week previously that he was being laid off. The spokesman found the kitchen appliances damaged, probably by an ax. Reported Aug. 8.
- Stage Road: An unknown female removed a framed picture nailed to the lobby wall at the Bartlett Library (5884 Stage Road) on Aug. 10, slamming the picture to the floor and shattering the glass. The suspect left, headed east on Stage Road. Reported Aug. 10.
- Windersville Road: A man received a letter from Verizon, advising that someone had activated a new phone number on his account. He said he didn’t order this and he believes his account was hacked. Reported Aug. 6.
- Way Wood Cove: A father reported harassment by a male suspect after he had told the male to stay away from him and his daughter. An investigation determined that the suspect did come by the home and pull a knife on the victim while making threatening statements. The suspect was arrested and taken to Juvenile Court.