Editor’s note: This version reflects the updates provided by the Shelby County Election Commission after our press deadline on Tuesday.
The Shelby County Election Commission announced the addition of two more early voting sites in light of a judicial ruling on Monday that required the additional sites.
The ruling came after the Shelby County Democratic Party and the NAACP filed separate lawsuits against the commission, alleging that the organization broke the law and harmed minority voters with changes made to early voting sites. The plaintiffs said the opening of fewer early voting sites for the first four days is a disadvantage to inner city voters who can’t get out to East Memphis. The commission has said that issues with staffing, infrastructure, locations or technology will prevent the opening of all sites on Friday.
Early voting will be July 13-28 in Shelby County for the Aug. 2 elections (county general, state primary and special municipal elections).
A limited number of early voting sites will be available initially (July 13-14 and July 16-17):
- Abundant Grace Fellowship Church, 1574 E. Shelby Drive, Memphis
- Dave Wells Community Center, 915 Chelsea Ave., Memphis (added per court ruling)
- Mississippi Boulevard Christian Church – Family Life Center, 70 N. Bellevue Blvd., Memphis (added per court ruling)
- New Bethel Missionary Baptist Church, 7786 Poplar Pike, Germantown
- Shelby County Election Commission office, 980 Nixon Drive, Memphis (new location, added before the court ruling)
Those five locations will be joined by the remaining early voting locations opening on July 18:
- Agricenter International, 7777 Walnut Grove Road, Memphis
- Anointed Temple of Praise, 3939 Riverdale Road, Memphis
- Arlington Safe Room, 11842 Otto Lane, Arlington (new location, added before the court ruling)
- Baker Community Center, 7942 Church Road, Millington
- Bellevue Baptist Church, 2000 Appling Road, Cordova
- Berclair Church of Christ, 4536 Summer Ave., Memphis
- Calvary Episcopal Church, 102 N. 2nd St., Memphis (Enter from BB King)
- Church of the Annunciation, 8282 Macon Road, Cordova (new location, added before the court ruling)
- Collierville Church of Christ, 575 Shelton Drive, Collierville
- Colonial Baptist Church, 1503 Colonial Road, Memphis (new location, added before the court ruling)
- Compassion Church, 3505 S. Houston Levee Road, Germantown (new location, added before the court ruling)
- Ed Rice Community Center, 2907 N. Watkins, Memphis
- Glenview Community Center, 1141 S. Barksdale St., Memphis
- Greater Lewis Street Baptist Church, 152 E. Parkway North, Memphis (southeast corner of Poplar and East Parkway North)
- Greater Middle Baptist Church, 4982 Knight Arnold Road, Memphis
- Harmony Church, 6740 St. Elmo Road, Bartlett
- Mt. Zion Baptist Church, 60 S. Parkway East, Memphis
- Raleigh United Methodist Church, 3295 Powers Road, Memphis
- Riverside Missionary Baptist Church, 3560 S. Third St., Memphis
- Second Baptist Church, 4680 Walnut Grove Road, Memphis (new location, added before the court ruling)
- Solomon Temple MB Church, 1460 Winchester Road, Memphis (new location, added before the court ruling)
- The Refuge Church, 9817 Huff N Puff Road, Lakeland