Extravaganza to spotlight hunting, fishing Aug. 11-13
You wanted more and you got it: The Mid-South Hunting & Fishing Extravaganza (MSHFE) is back, and it’s bigger and better.
For more than 20 years this event at the Agricenter International in Memphis has served as the “kick-off” for the fall hunting and fishing seasons.
The MSHFE is a three-day event on Aug. 11-13 where area sportsmen can forget about the summer heat and humidity and talk about hunting, fishing, camping and the multitude of other fall outdoor activities within easy driving distance of the Memphis area. Not only that, but there’s more to enjoy in 2017.
The Extravaganza overflows with good music: Darryl Worley on Aug. 12 at 8 p.m., Nick Garrison on Aug. 12 at 6 p.m. and Big Smo on Aug. 11 at 8 p.m. Worley’s six albums have produced 18 singles on the Billboard Hot Country Songs Chart, including three at No. 1. Garrison, a born-and-raised Memphian, says country music has been in his blood since he was able to talk. John Lee Smith, AKA Big Smo, is a rap musician, songwriter, producer and film director and subject of an eponymous reality TV series since 2014 on A&E.
MSHFE hours are 2-8 p.m. on Friday, Aug. 11; 10 a.m.-7 p.m. on Saturday, Aug. 12; and 11 a.m.-5 p.m. on Sunday, Aug. 13. Tickets are $25 (ages 18 and up, includes admission, concerts and sweepstakes eligibility), $10, adults, ages 13-59, includes concerts (not sweepstakes); youth, ages 5-12, $5; seniors (60-plus, $5) and military, $5 (with valid ID). Children 4 and under are free.
The sweepstakes features $250,000 in prizes: Three Ram trucks, 16 Benelli shotguns, 9 ATVs, 100 Texas de Brazil gift certificates, 10 Dick’s gift certificates and 50 Delta Fair Family Fun Packs. Trophy Club Outfitters will give away a three-day bow hunt on 2,500-acres of private, one-family owned grant/cattle farm.
The Extravaganza will also include the following show features:
- Big Buck Contest: The Tennessee-Martin Wildlife Society, a professional organization that helps the community learn and protect wildlife, will again help this popular event with prizes from Desoto Archery (Matthews bows), Aireyor Inc. (Redneck Blinds), Mid-South Tree Farms and Haddads. Those interested in entering may drop their mounts off at the Big Buck contest area beginning on Aug. 11. The categories will be gun, archery, primitive weapon, youth, women’s and high-fence. There is $10 entry fee. All winners will be determined by popular vote. The awards will be announced at 3 p.m. on Aug. 13. Noted Mid-South taxidermist Chris Knight will be the event’s director.
- Duck calling: There will be three classes (Main Street, Meat and Teams). Registration is 2-7 p.m. Aug. 11 and 9 a.m.-5 p.m. Aug. 12, with the contests set to begin at noon Aug. 13.
- Taxidermy: The five categories will be game head, bird, fish, life-size mammal and reptiles. Also, at this year’s event there will be a Judges’ Choice Award for “Best of Show.” There is a $20 mount entry fee. The contest is for taxidermists only. Cut-off for entries will be 7 p.m. on Aug. 12 with the winners announced at about 3 p.m. on Aug. 13.
- Archery: Whether you are a beginner or a long-time archer come by and test the newest archery equipment at this year’s show under the tutelage of Phillip Long of Shelby Forest Archery. There will be a 3-D Archery Shoot, too. Long, who has been in the archery business for almost three decades, is among the speakers for seminars at the Extravaganza.
- MSHFE’s seminars: These are free as part of each guest’s show ticket. There will be more than 15 hours of seminars on the Agricenter’s D-Wing stage. The list of speakers is a who’s who of Mid-South sportsmen with subjects ranging from Fishing with the Stars (Big Jim Napier) to fall bass fishing (David Best of Bartlett-based Primary Tackle) to firearms from Civil War to present (Jay Hill of Classic Arms). A complete list of seminars can be found at memphishuntshow.com.
- Trout Pond: Of course the Trout Pond will be loaded with 200 pounds of rainbow trout and hosted by the Arlington Trappers.
This event is a production of Expo South. For details, go to memphishuntshow.com or call (901) 867-7007.