At the Oct. 13 meeting, Lakeland’s city board approved its redesigned sign ordinance, which includes an I-40 sign zone and more latitude for temporary signage. One business owner had concerns about visibility for his business, and City Manager Jim Atkinson said the changes could help. Atkinson said he will work with the citizen outside of the meeting.
The board also:
- Authorized the mayor to execute a contract with Buchart Horn Inc. for design of the Clear Creek Sanitary Sewer Interceptor for $30,500 for Component 1. Component 1 will focus on conceptual design, and three potential alignments will be considered and pipe size determined. Providing sewer service to future development will require this new Clear Creek Interceptor.
- Adopted the I.H. Park Vision Plan to add amenities and support the new stage and concert venue.
- Directed the city manager and attorney to seek legislative authority for Lakeland to charge a fee for fire service.
- Acknowledged the opening of two new Lakeland businesses, Starbucks and Marco’s Pizza, and noted that the Starbucks grand opening will be Oct. 28 at 6 p.m.
- Announced that the eastbound ramp for I-40 at Canada Road has closed for about three months.
- Noted that the Beverle Rivera/Huff N Puff Project will start construction of Phase 1 on Oct. 24. Roadways will remain open.
- Changed the city’s zoning map to rezone Parcel L015100001 from AG (Agricultural) to C1 (Community Mixed Use/Commercial), Parcel L015000520C from PD (Planned Development) to R3 (Suburban Cottage) and Parcel L015000518 from PD to R3. All Parcels are near the intersection of Evergreen Road and US 70.
- Authorized the mayor to execute an interlocal agreement with Memphis, allowing Lakeland to have sign and right of way mowing enforcement north of U.S. within the U.S. 64 Row. The property is along Lakeland’s southern border and appears to represent Lakeland, according to the city’s staff report.
- Authorized the mayor to execute a professional services contract with Looney Ricks Kiss for a small area plan for the areas southwest, northwest and northeast of the Interstate 40 / Canada Road Interchange.
- Passed a resolution regarding Lakeland Area Chamber of Commerce funding and a part-time economic development specialist.
- Discussed options for contracting with the county or a private provider for a municipal ambulance service.
- Reminded the public that 2016’s last concert at the Lakeland Amphitheater will be 7- 10 p.m. Oct. 22, featuring Seeing Red. The Halloween festival also will be 1-4 p.m. Oct. 30 at I.H. Park.
Written by Carolyn Bahm, Express editor. Contact her at (901) 433-9138 or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.