Shelby County Mayor Mark H. Luttrell Jr. will host the Third Annual Healthy Shelby 5K and One Mile Walk this month to raise awareness for healthy lifestyles. The June 27 event starts at 8 a.m. on North Pine Lake Drive near the Mullins Station Road entrance to Shelby Farms Park.
The course map is available online.
There will also be a health vendor fair, DJ with live music, a bounce house, dunk tank, an appearance by Rocky the Redbird and much more.
“This 5K run/walk is a great way to encourage physical fitness and educate our citizens about the importance of maintaining their overall health,” Luttrell said. “Last year we raised $21,730 for hypertension awareness. This year, proceeds will be used for awareness campaigns about infant mortality, various chronic diseases and end of life care issues, all of which affect the healthcare industry in Shelby County.”
The event will also acquaint people with the Healthy Shelby partnership, a healthcare alliance that began three years ago year to improve the health of Shelby County citizens and reduce the treatment costs of some diseases.
“It’s vital we get these important health messages to our citizens. We thank Mayor Luttrell for supporting this lifesaving work,” said Dr. Kenneth Robinson, chairman of Healthy Shelby.
Regional One Health is a Healthcare Champion Sponsor for the event.
Race day schedule
- 6:30 a.m., bib pickup and registration begins
- 7:40 a.m., registration ends
- 7:40 a.m., opening remarks
- 7:50 a.m., runners make their way to the starting line
- 7:55 a.m., last-minute race instructions and recognition of race sponsors
- 8 a.m., 5k race starts
- 8:10 a.m., 1 Mile Walk starts
- 9 a.m., awards ceremony
Citizens may attend the festival and health vendor fair at no charge. Here are the costs to participate in the Healthy Shelby 5K Run/Walk:
|CATEGORY||EARLY COST||RACE DAY COST|
|1 Mile Walk||$15||$15|
|1 Mile Walk, employee||$10||$15|
|Spirit Runner (shirt ONLY)||$10||$10|
Mail-in registration will close June 20 at 11:59 p.m. CST. Online registration will close June 25 at 11:59 p.m. CST.
Shelby County government employees who register get an extra incentive: Each will be entered in a drawing to have lunch with the mayor.
Registration policies include:
- There will be NO refunds for 2015 races.
- Entries are not transferable to another participant.
- Participants must present a photo ID and sign a release-from-liability waiver at checkin.
- Race Management reserves the right to cancel or modify the event because of unfavorable conditions.
- Registration fees are not refundable in the event of cancellation due to “Acts of God.”
Questions or comments should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the event or how your organization can partner, go to www.healthyshelby5k.racesonline.com/ or call Elyse Lovelace, Shelby County government’s employee benefits wellness coordinator at (901) 222-2345.