Prepare for St. Jude Classic with spectator tips
MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Spectators enjoying the FedEx St. Jude Classic now have the advantage of the following helpful tips on getting the most out of this major golf tournament, quickly approaching on June 2-8.
The advice comes courtesy of TPC Southwind, host for the tourney and the PGA Tour's only private golf club in Tennessee.
1. “Check out the merchandise tent early in the week and don’t forget to pick up your “Hush Y’all” sign (our version of “Quiet Please”) before they’re all gone.”
2. “Keep an eye out for property maps and pairings guide as you enter the grounds and make a plan for the players or groups you’d like to see throughout the day.”
3. “Plant yourself on the most difficult hole on the golf course — you will learn from the pros how to play difficult shots and/or use proper course management. Holes 9, 11, 12 and 18 at TPC Southwind are particularly good ones to watch for this.”
4. “Watch players warm up. It’s a great way to get close and see how good the pros really are when they are hitting shot after shot exactly how they want to.”
5. “Find a spot on a hill between two and three holes. This way, you can watch players teeing off on one hole and another group coming up on a different green. Hole 12 offers a great vantage point to catch action on 12, 13 and 17.”
6. “The course is often less crowded on the front 9, so you can often get much closer to the action. The course will get more crowded the later it gets in the day, so find a good spot before it's filled with other spectators.”
7. “Buy your FedEx St. Jude Classic souvenir off the 18th green. This is a perfect location to get your favorite PGA Tour player to autograph your merchandise.”
8. “Find the fairway landing zones of your favorite holes, and you can beat the traffic to watch your favorite player hit their approach to the green. Recommendations include 12, 15, 17 and 18.”
9. “Whether you choose to follow a group or your favorite player, travel from green to tee for the best viewing spot along the rope line.”
10. “Watch everyone on the leaderboard tee off on No. 1, then walk all 18 holes backwards to see everyone on the field, plus the entire course. Great exercise, great golf!”
11. “Experience the Michelob Party Tent on hole 12. It is only open Saturday and Sunday. A $10 cover gets you $1 beer all day.”
13. “Come hungry so you can eat the Memphis fare: Barbecue from Hog Wild and Pronto pups!”
Michaelyn Morgan Bradford, head golf pro at TPC Southwind, said, “As a venue designed to host Tour-sponsored events, we consider ourselves experts at navigating tournaments and want to ensure our guests are truly able to enjoy them."
TPC Southwind is part of the TPC Network, composed of premier private, resort and daily fee golf properties that have hosted or been designed to host Tour-sponsored golf tournaments. Since 1980, TPCs have provided the PGA TOUR with rent-free venues for tournaments, helping to boost championship golf purses and increasing charitable donations to grassroots non-profit organizations. At the same time, TPCs have provided recreational golfers with the opportunity to test their skills on the same layouts where the world’s best golfers compete. For more information, visit TPC.com and follow TPC Network on Twitter (@PlayTPC) Instagram (PlayTPC), and Facebook at www.facebook.com/tpcnetwork.