Lakeland Senior Center lists January activities
- Ladies Bunco: 11 a.m. – 1 p.m., Jan. 6 and 20, at the Senior Center, 4527 Canada Road, Lakeland. Contact Bobbi Cornett at (901) 372-3244 for more information.
- YMCA Silver Sneakers: 10-11 a.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays at the IH Clubhouse, 4523 Canada Road (next door to Senior Center). This is a muscular strength and range of movement class. Class is $4 per day if not covered by attendee’s insurance; first class is free.
- Mexican Train Dominos: 6-9 p.m. Jan. 9 and noon-3 p.m. Jan. 14 and 28 at the Senior Center. For more information, contact Bobbi Cornett at (901) 372-3244.
- Kings and Queens Bridge: Game at 9:30 a.m.-12:30 p.m., followed by the class, on Jan. 18 and 25 at the Senior Center. Coffee provided; activity fee of $5 for game, class, or both. For more information, contact ACBL Instructor Judy Knox at (901) 737-8087 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Evening Bunco: 6:30-8:30 p.m. Jan. 7 at the Senior Center. The group needs 12 regulars and 3 substitute players. Contact Joy Cloud at (901) 867-2717 or email@example.com and request to be a regular or substitute player.
For more information or to be added to the email list or brochure mailing list, contact Recreation Program Coordinator Joy Cloud at (901) 867-2717 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tenn. residents eligible to get 10 free flowering trees in January
Residents of Tennessee can ring in the New Year with 10 free flowering trees by joining the Arbor Day Foundation any time during January 2014.
By becoming a part of the nonprofit Arbor Day Foundation, new members will receive two Sargent crabapple, three American redbuds, two Washington hawthorns, and three white flowering dogwoods.
“These beautiful trees will give your home in Tennessee lovely flowers with pink, yellow and white colors,” said John Rosenow, founder and chief executive of the Arbor Day Foundation. “These trees are perfect for large and small spaces, and they will provide food and habitat for songbirds.”
The free trees are part of the Foundation’s Trees for America campaign.
The trees will be shipped postpaid at the right time for planting, between Feb. 1 and May 31, with enclosed planting instructions. The 6- to 12-inch tall trees are guaranteed to grow or they will be replaced free of charge.
Members will also receive a subscription to the Foundation’s bimonthly publication, Arbor Day, and The Tree Book, which includes information about tree planting and care.
To become a member of the Foundation and to receive the free trees, send a $10 contribution to Ten Free Flowering Trees, Arbor Day Foundation, 100 Arbor Avenue, Nebraska City, NE 68410, by Jan. 31, 2014. Tennessee residents can also join online at arborday.org/january.