1. PENN STATE REPORT WILL DRAW SCRUTINY
The results of Penn State’s internal investigation into the Jerry Sandusky scandal will be released in a report that may answer many troubling questions.
2. WHAT JOE BIDEN WILL TELL BLACK VOTERS
The vice president will offer a rebuttal to Mitt Romney and defend President Obama’s record before the nation’s largest civil rights organization.
3. DICK CHENEY LENDS STAR POWER TO ROMNEY
The former vice president is hosting a fundraiser for the likely Republican nominee at a mountain valley resort and a private dinner at his Wyoming home.
4. US, CHINA SQUARE OFF OVER MARITIME CLAIMS
The Obama administration presses China to accept a code of conduct for resolving territorial disputes in the South China Sea.
5. COMMON CHILDHOOD ILLNESS RAGES ACROSS ASIA
A menacing form of hand, foot and mouth disease is causing high fever, brain swelling, paralysis and respiratory shutdown in some children.
6. MORE US HOMES ON FORCLOSURE PATH IN JUNE
Banks are increasingly placing homes with unpaid mortgages on a countdown that could deliver a swell of new foreclosed properties onto the market by early next year.
7. WHY AN INCREASE IN YOUNG ADULTS WITH COLLEGE DEGREES IS DISAPPOINTING
The small rise in college completion reported by the Education Department is still well below the pace needed to reach President Obama’s goal of having the U.S. rank first worldwide in college graduates.
8. THIRD CALIFORNIA CITY SEEKS BANKRUPTCY PROTECTION
San Bernardino officials couldn’t pay vendors, making bankruptcy the only feasible option to keep the city from shutting down.
9. BOB DYLAN, PBS HISTORIANS IN GUITAR DISPUTE
The network’s “History Detectives” claims woman has the historic Fender Stratocaster used at the Newport Folk Festival in 1965, but a lawyer says the singer still has it.
10. SAUDI ARABIA TO SEND FEMALE ATHLETES TO THE OLYMPICS
Two officials tell the AP that the ultraconservative Muslim kingdom will for the first time send two women to the London Olympics.